Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting MemTest86 Pro 8.1 to ISO (from memtest86-pro-usb.img)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting MemTest86 Pro 8.1 to ISO (from memtest86-pro-usb.img)

I purchased an upgrade from MemTest86 Pro 7.4 to MemTest86 Pro 8.1 and was disappointed to discover it required a USB flash drive as opposed an .ISO delivery which could be either USB or disc format. Prior to getting a refund I had asked support if there was a method of obtaining an .ISO file and I was sent to https://www.memtest86.com/technical.htm#iso

I downloaded CentOS 64-bit 7.6 1810, went through the trouble of installing it on a PC, and followed the directions which completed successfully unfortunately the ISO is not bootable.

I emailed support and they suggested Ubuntu, so I downloaded 18.04.2 64-bit, completed the same tasks, the script spit out some errors but also created the disc, which also is not bootable.

Does anyone have any advice on how the memtest86-pro-usb.img can be successfully converted to an .ISO?

was disappointed to discover it required a USB flash drive as opposed an .ISO
    In the system requirement on the home page it is listed that a USB drive is required.
    The feature page also notes that there is no CD boot support in V8.

But V8 of the software is UEFI BIOS only and all UEFI BIOSs support USB boot. So CD booting should no longer be required. USB boot is also faster. USB allows logs files and reports to be written to the drive. USB drives are also more reliable and easier to create.

an .ISO delivery which could be either USB or disc format
    This isn't the case. You can't just write an ISO to a USB drive (and the reverse doesn't work either). The file system is different in each case and needs to be converted. Which isn't trivial.

....and followed the directions
    Except that you didn't, as we never tested anything on CentOS. We used Ubuntu.

the script spit out some errors
    Maybe it would help if you posted the errors.

Comment

Originally posted by David (PassMark) View Post
      Except that you didn't, as we never tested anything on CentOS. We used Ubuntu.
      Clearly you're more interested in replying with your arrogant opinions than helping me and actually reading what I wrote, where I clearly wrote "Ubuntu, so I downloaded 18.04.2 64-bit,"

So, yes, I did follow the directions.

I'll simply request a refund

Comment

Pretty hard to help you with the errors, if you don't tell us what the errors are. Just saying.

Comment

Working...
        X