PassMark USB2Test ™
USB2Test is an easy to use Windows based application that allows users to quickly check that all the USB ports on their PC are functioning correctly and allows them to determine the maximum speed of these ports (and hence whether they are configured as expected). USB2Test is designed for use in conjunction with PassMark's USB 2.0 loopback plug and will test both USB 1.x and USB 2.0 ports at Full-speed (up to 12Mb/s) and USB2.0 ports at High-speed (up to 480Mb/s) rates. USB2Test extends PassMark's existing USB Loopback product by additionally providing support for High-speed (USB 2.0), performance benchmarking and enhanced error detection.
V1.1 (Build 1009)
Latest release date:
28 September 2011
Free with the purchase of a PassMark USB 2.0 loopback plug
(See sales page for USB 2.0 loopback plug pricing details)
Windows XP SP3, 2003 Server, Vista, Windows 7 and 2008 Server. Linux is not supported.
64MB RAM, 1MB Disk space
USB2Test when used together with a USB 2.0 loopback plug has the following features:
- A loopback mode where a user controlled (start/stop) number of data packets may be looped for reliability testing.
- A benchmark mode where the maximum read and write speeds are determined for a user selected port. Ten packets are written out the USB port and ten packets are read from the USB 2.0 loopback plug.
- Selection from a list of USB ports that have PassMark USB 2.0 loopback plugs connected.
- User selectable loopback data of user specified constant data, incrementing sequence data or random data.
- User selectable loopback verification or no verification.
- Saving of loopback and benchmark result data to a user specified file.
- The display of port information, such as, HighSpeed (up to 480 Mb/s) or FullSpeed (up to 12Mb/s).
- The display of loopback results, such as the number of packets looped, number of verification failures and the number of recoverable errors (ie. re-transmission).
- The display of benchmark results, such as the result for each of the twenty packets sent/ received and the overall benchmarked result.
- A comprehensive help file.
The USB2Test utility can only be used with the PassMark USB 2.0 loop back plug.
Testing using the USB 2.0 loopback plug - software comparison
The USB 2.0 loopback plug may be used with either:
USB2Test V1.0 or above. Distributed with the USB 2.0 loopback plug and downloadable (see below).
BurnInTest V4.0 Professional or above.
A comparison of both software applications in respect of USB testing is shown below.
|BurnInTest V4.0 Pro
|HighSpeed (USB 2.0) or FullSpeed (USB 1.x) port indication||Yes||Yes|
|USB 1.x and 2.0 loopback testing||Yes||Yes|
|USB 1.x and 2.0 Benchmarking||Yes||No|
|Supports PassMark USB 2.0 loopback plug||Yes||Yes|
|Supports PassMark USB loopback plug||No||Yes|
|Supports simultaneous testing of multiple USB ports||No||Yes|
|Support simultaneous testing of multiple PC components||No (USB only)||Yes|
|Scripting of test runs||No||Yes|
|Logging||Yes. Basic results||Yes. User selectable detail. Real time.|
|Error reporting||Yes. Basic errors.||Yes. Greater detail of error type reporting. User definable error classifications and text.|
|User configuration of loopback test data||Yes||No (Random data)|
|Windows 2000, XP, 2003 Server, Vista, Window 7, 2008 Server support||Yes||Yes|
|Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, Linux, Mac support||No||No|
Screen shot: The main window
The above diagram shows the results display following a successful loopback test and a Benchmark test.