thanks again for your fast response.
In the meantime I created a new case and directly added the device to the case. started again indexing and faced the same troubles again.
--- System Messages copied from blog
Zoom Search Engine Indexer 64-bit (Enterprise Edition)
Version 7.0.osf15 (Build: Custom for OSForensics) on Windows 7
Start indexing (offline mode) at Fri Jul 27 11:34:47 2012
--- Warning messages coipied from blog
No files found to index in bm02-1_C:
Check that the path exists and that files satisfies configuration settings
--- Error Messages copied from log
Failed to mount device E:\Evidence\bm02\bm02.E01 (bm02-1_C)
... one line
Invalid folder (does not exist): bm02-1_C:
I did save the whole log of the indexing process. If you could provide an email address I shall send it to you personally.
best regards from Austria
PS: there are no kangaroos in Austria.
And by the way. The problem also occured for office docs indexing.
We couldn't reproduce the problem using the latest public build and some test Encase images. But getting your log would still be good if possible.
Can you confirm that you added the image file via the option in the screenshot here, circled in blue?
That is, you have selected the "Image file" radio button for the "Data source" and NOT via the "Drive letter" or the "Mount image" underlined option (which launches OSFMount).
Please make sure to add a device using the "Image file" option, and NOT OSFMount, and try again.
If you did index from a device that was mounted via OSFMount, you need to make sure that the image file is still mounted before indexing. That is, if you have rebooted the machine since mounting the image, then it would no longer be mounted and the error you see could happen.
I added the image in both ways. Indexing failed in both ways. It started and stopped with an error after approx 160 words. I faced this problem by indexing E-Mails and office docs. It is very strange. all I want to do is extracting E-Mails from an ordinary PST-File.
Originally Posted by Ray (PassMark)
Thanks for your patience. Would have been nice to get the log. We are really just guessing at possible reasons without it.
Here is something else to try.
Copy the PST files from the disk image into a temp folder on your hard drive. Then index the files from your temp folder. (You can copy the files from the File Browser window in OSF).
Also, an alpha build of OSF V1.2 is now available.
Can you download this new build and give it a go. There has been a lot of changes in the area of direct access to images and also some changes to the handling of PST files.
If this doesn't fix it then I think we will really need to get some logs from you.
Also can you let us know if the image contains multiple partitions? And you are indexing from a partition besides the first (partition 0) when you mounted the image?
Last edited by Ray (PassMark); 08-02-2012 at 07:56 AM.
thank you for your support and the alpha. IŽll try the alpha and send the log to info [@] passmark.com. I`ll keep in touch.
I did send the log to your e-Mail Address. I also tested the 1.2 Alpha. It did not solve the existing problem. I started the pgme as admin and tried to index the whole drive. (E:\Evidence\bm02\bm02.E01, Partition No 1).The pgme runs without any fault through the pre-scan step.
Originally Posted by Forensik
This problem has be closed in V1.2. You can find current Alpha / Beta release here,
The problem was a bug in the indexing process. It happened when indexing a disk image, using direct access mode and the partition being indexed was not the 1st partition in the image. The bug has been corrected in V1.2. Thanks for your help in resolving it.
I just experimented a couple problems that fall into the "Trouble Indexing" category ..
1) The MP3info process, that seems is started when indexing encounters an mp3 file, crashes on some .mp3 files, windows gives a message about "wait for program or quit program .." and indexing is paused until i don't click "OK". Indexing is a long task that i tipically leave running overnight unattended so this can be a big problem ..
2) Because of problem 1 i stopped indexing and started it again but first i manually removed .mp3 and some other extensions fron the list of file types to index but OSF ignored this and again started to pause with errors in MP3info process on some musical files
My environment is: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, 8gb ram - OSF v1.2 alpha 2
but i had these same problems with other versions too