Buy i3 530 with C2 or wait for i3 530 with K0?
Intel has released a new K0 stepping for some of its older dual-core Core i3 and Core i5 processors, as TPU reported. The new stepping will apply a few tweaks and updates within the CPU architecture. Perhaps they OC better as well. These chips will be available on October 16, 2010.
Does anyone have any suggestions whether I should purchase older core i3 with C2 stepping (SLBLR) or wait for new core i3 with K0 stepping (SLBX7)?
Compared with C2,change for KO is as follows:
* New S-spec and MM numbers for the converting products
* Extended CPUID will change from 0×00020652 to 0×00020655
* Host RevID will change from 0×12 to 0×18
* K0 stepping package is pin compatible with C2 stepping package
* Adds Processor Context ID (PCID) support
What is the difference in term of performance between C2 and K0?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Although I don't have any real data, I don't think the performance difference will be significant.
Stepping changes are normally just to fix minor bugs, or due to a change in the manufacturing process.