Shopping cart    |      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeper entering S3 after it finishes

Default Sleeper entering S3 after it finishes

Hi Passmark,

I'm making an automated script that calls sleeper to go into S3 for 10 cycles via Command line.

Sleeper.exe -S0010 -N 10 -D 30 -F -E -L sleeper.log

After the process finishes, my app parses the log and reports back. However, sometimes the system goes into S3 AFTER the sleeper.exe has exited. And the system does not automatically wake up from S3. Do you know what's causing this? Currently, I have a workaround that simulate keypresses after the sleeper.exe process exited, and that seems to help 90% of the time. Please look into this extra S3.

Sidenote: For some odd reason, calc.exe opens up after every S3. Anyone seen that?

Sidenote#2: Is there a way to specific Log Level via Command Line?

Thanks for a great tool!
    -Dennis

If command line options are specified without a configuration file (i.e. without --config option), default values will be used and the command line options will override its default values. If any of the command line option is invalid, Sleeper will use its default values.

So the option to open up calc is probalby set in the default file.

To set the log level use a config file, then call the config file from the command line.

I don't know why you system might go to sleep after the software has finished running.

Default s3 issue

Hi ,
    I am trying to run PassMark Sleeper to cycle through the power cycles s1,s3 and s4. But even after a single cycle of s1(or s3 or s4) after the application exists the system goes to s3 state by itself after 2 minutes(without user intervension within that time frame). If there is a mouse click or a key press after sleeper exists there is no problem. I have also tried setting the power managment timers back to zero. It is specific to vista environment.

Any views?

What settings are you using in Sleeper?

Default settings

In the UI I select S1 and sleep time duration-45 secs, Configuration->Number of cycle(s)-1, No log->'Sleep now'

From your description of the settings you used I am guessing you are using a old version of the software. V2.3 (Build 1004) is the current release. See,
    http://www.passmark.com/products/sleeper.htm

Default similar S3 issue

I am experiencing a simliar problem running Sleeper v2.3 build 1004 on Vista. I don't use the command-line settings, but edit the settings in the GUI manually.

I have only S3 and S4 selected (alternates between each state) with the following...
    S3 = 60
    S4 = 120
    Number of Cycles = 300
    Cycle Interval Duration = 180
    Delay before first sleep = 30
    Log to file = Enabled
    Append to log file = Enabled
    Log level = Normal
    Error handling = all Unchecked
    External actions = all Unchecked

After resuming from Sleep, the 180 sec countdown begins, but after about 100 sec the unit returns to Sleep and stays there (never wakes up). I have run the test without S3 selected (S4 only) and it runs fine - no problems. But re-enable S3 state and after the 1st cycle the unit again returns to S3 after about 100 sec during the middle of the countdown.

I can reduce the 180 sec countdown to less than 100 sec, but then that doesn't give the unit enough time to finish stabilizing after resuming from Hibernate before initiating the next sequence. I ran an S3-only test with a 20 sec countdown, no problems.

I also ran the same test using WinXP on the unit and it works fine - no problems. Also, prior to SP1 I used this same test (different version of Sleeper then) and it would work fine under Vista. I tried build 1003 on SP1, but the same thing happens. I don't keep any older versions of Sleeper on hand.

This seems to be an intentional behaviour from Vista to stop certain applications and system activities from waking the computer without the users knowledge and leaving it running. There is a brief mention of it in this article from Microsoft

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937556

When the computer goes back to sleep

After the computer wakes up, the computer goes back to its previous sleep state if the computer is idle for a certain time. For example, this behavior may occur after the computer wakes up to automatically install a Windows update.
    Our testing has shown that the time for this to happen is two minutes.

Is there anyway around this? I'm using sleeper.exe to automate some testing in a lab, but if the system goes to sleep after we're done testing, the following tests might not get executed.

My temporary workaround is to reboot the system after sleeper is done.

We are not aware of any way to turn it off. But we haven't looked for one either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast