results obtained field does not wrap text in web app
when I first edit text in the results obtained field in the web app, the text does not wrap around to the next line, making it somewhat difficult to see what you've actually typed. Once i save the changes i've made, either with or without typing anything in the results obtained field, it wraps the text correctly.
in fact, the font is different for the results obtained text box than it is for other multi-line text boxes... it's actually the same font as the text in the single line text boxes, that shouldn't word wrap. (this is also true in the default template, not just the one that i have modified for our use case)
Which template set are you using?
I have tried using the default template, and with my custom template, which was modified from the default (removed a bunch of extra fields we don't use).
actually, with further investigation, it looks like it happens on all templates, in all multi-line text fields. We have eliminated most of them, except results obtained and notes field 1, so I didn't notice at first. The project test cases were created by dragging over the test cases into a project... once there, all fields without text already in them did not wrap the text to the next line.
It sounds like it could be a style sheet problem possibly, we'll have a look into it.
so in the latest update of testlog, the version history file says you added text wrapping for the multi-line fields ("Added soft wrapping to multiline edit fields for web module") but it still doesn't wrap for me... do i need to add something to the .css file or the template files to get this to work correctly? let me know, because i don't want to have to start over again with my template files...
The <textarea> fields should now specifically have the attribute wrap=soft, so it will wrap the text but only when a carriage return is entered. As the size of the text areas can be variable hard wrapping (placing a carriage return at the end of each line in the text area) could cause some formatting problems.
aha! i finally figured out what was going on here... When you first open a test case for edit, it does not correctly assign the <textarea> type to the multi-line text fields... I'm looking at the source for two separate test cases, one that is still not yet attempted (has not been attempted this test pass) and one that has been attempted, and here's the difference in the source code:
not yet attempted test case:
<td class=TestCaseData> <input name="TL_RESULTS_EDIT" type="text" class="TL_RESULTS_EDIT"></td>
attempted test case:
<td class=TestCaseData><textarea name="TL_RESULTS_EDIT" class="TL_RESULTS_EDIT" maxlength="40000" wrap=soft></textarea></td>
So... it looks like there is some bug where the multi-line text fields are only being referenced as a <textarea> after they have been edited and saved at least once.
Thanks for that, now it's confirmed what's happening we'll look into what's causing it and fix it for the next release.